Thursday, July 06, 2006

On choices and being human

I've always wanted to be a nurse when I was a lot younger. Back then, Nursing was not as popular as it is now. I was probably influence by the plethora of nurses in our family. Tita Juliet is a nurse, so is Tita Vic...as well as Tita Donna...not to mention Tita Roanie. I guess it just seemed like the most logical thing to be, at the back of my 7-year-old mind. I remember I was in first grade, my teacher asked what we wanted to be when we grew up. Most of my classmates said they wanted to be doctors, lawyers or teachers. I was the only one who said that I wanted to be a nurse. I remember everyone looking at me like I was out of my mind. I didn't know much as to what nurses do, except to help out the doctor during operations. I was not aware that being a nurse involved bed pans and urine bags.

The point is, most of the time, we don't end up what we had imagined we would be at 7. I mean, I never thought I'd graduate with a degree in Economics. Hell, I hated my Economics teacher in high school. I never thought I'd have a career in a call center either. No one even wondered (back then) about who the people were behind directory assistance (114), whom I used to call to ask for Pizza Hut's phone number when my dad was in the mood for pizza.

Whenever I think back on the past, I often wonder if I would have been happier had I chosen a different course or career. Could I have gone to medical school had I taken up Med Tech in UST? Or could I have ended up pregnant without a husband?

I know it's cliche but I guess everything does happen for a reason. God did not make me this way (nice and cute) just for the heck of it. All the choices I have made in the past paved the way for me to be who I am today. I am not perfect. I am not flawless (pronounced as 'flow'). I am human. I make mistakes, and will continue to commit mistakes for God intentionally cooked up a special recipe for me to be me. Don't get me wrong, the mistakes I commit today will never be the same one that I will commit tomorrow or the next day or the day after that.

0 comments: