Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Kissing Ass

Life in a call center sounds simple. You come to work. You wait for that oh-so-familiar toot-toot and talk to someone from the other side of the world. When 01 strikes, you log out. That's it!

For someone like me, who is anti-social most of the time, it took a while before I got promoted. For starters, I do not like to talk to people who have ideas I don't necessarily agree with. I don't talk to people who think that they're better than everyone else and I HATE POSERS!! There's this particular supervisor who always talks about driving a car that he just bought but no one has ever seen this so-called car! I mean, I drive a car but I certainly don't announce that fact to the whole universe.

Anyways, back to my topic. I've never been one to kiss ass. I remember when I was in high school, my friend Charm would always sit in front of class and make jokes. My Statistics teacher would always notice her and would give her extensions for projects and stuff like that. Ugh! That's just not me awkay??

So when it was time for me to enter the corporate world (I wound up in the call center world), I didn't know that ass kissing is a needed skill in order to move to a higher position in the shortest time possible. Of course, having a normal-sized brain counts but in my (back then) naive mind, it was enough that you have good intentions and you are able to deliver quality answers during the interview. But no! I had to learn how to kiss ass. It took me 2 long years to finally realize that. I'm such a late bloomer. Aye!

Anyways, a lot has happened at work. Agents have become supervisors and supervisors became managers. Although most of them really deserve their respective promotions. I can't help but notice those bright and shiny lemons among the plums...they're bright and cheery on the outside, sour and bitter on the inside. Another chapter in my life. I have got to learn how to kiss ass. And quickly.

0 comments: